You may have noticed toddlers and preschoolers really enjoy music. You can see them humming their favorite song and even dancing at times. When they listen to music, they are more happy and full of joy.
Not many people know that music itself is a great teacher and contributes a lot to the overall development of a child. Music can make children happy and calm. Music can be a wonderful aspect to incorporate into preschools..
Children learn many things through music like socializing, language, understanding of emotions and how to express themselves in a better way.
The following are some of the major benefits music offers to a child’s development:
1. Communication Skills– A child is more likely to sing a song which enhances their early language and communication skills. Listening to song lyrics can help kids automatically learn how to pronounce words.
2. Listening Skills and Concentration– When a song plays, children pay great attention which enables them to develop their concentration power. It will reflect on other studies as well. Children become more attentive as a consequence.
3. Social Interaction– Listening to music helps children understand different people and culture. They start interacting with their peers and seniors. Group music activities in preschool can be a great foundation to develop their social skills at an early age.
4. Memory Power– Children start memorizing new words when they listen to music. If they listen to a song twice or thrice, it is very likely that they will remember some of the words. It indicates that music can also help them develop memory power.
5. Self-Regulation Skills– Music teaches children to control their actions, feelings and thoughts. This ability is also known as self-regulation. They learn how to behave. It instills sincerity and discipline at an early age.
Whenever children listen to music and dance, they learn the art of self-regulation. It improves body language and instills confidence in children. It is a very important aspect of their overall development and preschools can definitely help their pupils with that.
Children must be given proper training to become confident and mature individuals. Music enhances various skills, some of which are mentioned above. Preschools should include music training for preschoolers.
Why music education is important in schools?
Music enhances various skills and helps in the overall development of children. Music education must be started in schools at an early stage for the growth of kids in the best way.
Below are several benefits of music education that helps children in the long run:
Better memory: While training in music, one needs to memorize the tunes, the beats or the keys in the right order; else the desired sound will not be produced. The constant training and practice improves the memorization ability of the children which helps them in their academics and throughout their lives.
Helps in reasoning: Early training in music promotes the growth of left part of our brain that functions for reasoning. Therefore, learning music in early age helps in better development of brain.
Children remain constructively engaged: Apart from physical activities, children also need to be engaged in certain mental activities that are constructive in nature. And, nothing can be more constructive than learning music.
Emotional development: Music students are more developed culturally. Music has the magic of connecting one with the world. A sense of empathy comes through music. Music itself has all forms of emotions.
A sense of achievement: Music gives a sense of fulfillment to the children. They acquire self-confidence that they can learn something by themselves. It’s a great source of positive energy, literally.
Impacts Social behavior: Music makes one very sophisticated, well mannered and well disciplined. People engaged in the area of music do not like messy things like abusing or fighting.
Teamwork lessons: Music also makes children learn the teamwork lessons. Singing or playing instrument in a group requires a complete teamwork. Unity is strength.
Sense of responsibility: After a rigorous training and practice when kids go for stage performance, there, they acquire this sense of responsibility to sing well or play well to achieve accolades.
Children must be given proper music training to become confident and mature individuals. Preschools should include music training for preschoolers.
First School of the Desert is one of the leading preschools in California. We take great care of your children and transform them into strong and confident individuals. For more information, please call us at (760) 799-2910.
Dorothy Hastings is the Director of First School, which are three preschool and child care centers located throughout Southern California. First School provides a hands-on approach to preschool education and Child Care programs that emphasizes all around child development. In addition to their intuitive academic approach, First School also focuses on developing a child’s social skills and self-confidence, which is made possible in their intimate learning atmosphere.