Are you shopping for Preschoolers this holiday season? While there are a number of fun and entertaining toys out there, don’t forget to consider educational toys as well. Whenever possible look for toys that can grow with the child ensuring many more years of play past preschool age.
Here are just seven of the best learning gifts for preschoolers to get you started:
1. Train sets. There are wooden train sets such as Brio sets, Thomas the Train sets as well as plastic remote controlled trains such as the Fisher Price Toys Geotrax. Many train sets geared for young children are compatible with pieces for other sets.
2. Play kitchens. Look for a kitchen set that includes a stove, refrigerator and a sink such as the Little Tikes Cooking Fun Interactive Kitchen (batteries required). Kitchen sets enable kids to pretend to put away food, cook and wash dishes just like their parents.
3. Stuffed animals. Stuffed animals offer opportunities for gender neutral play that many dolls do not while still allowing for hours of imaginative play.
4. Blocks. Wooden blocks, Magnetix and Duplo are all classic and timeless options.
5. Science kits. Nothing gets a preschooler excited like examining bugs under a microscope or watching a butterfly grow up before his or her eyes.
6. Play dough. Play dough has a unique smell and great soft texture and is available in virtually every color. You can purchase it or make it yourself. There is a wide range of play dough toy sets available as well with everything from breakfast time to princess castle. Although it can get a little messy it will keep them busy creating for hours!
7. Puzzles. Puzzles let kids put together favorite scenes while using their problem solving skills to make the pieces fit just right. Check the size and content of a puzzle to ensure that is appropriate for a Preschooler.
Dorothy Hastings is the Director of First School, which are three preschool and child care centers located throughout Southern California. First School provides a hands-on approach to preschool education and Child Care programs that emphasizes all around child development. In addition to their intuitive academic approach, First School also focuses on developing a child’s social skills and self-confidence, which is made possible in their intimate learning atmosphere.