Homework is one of the crucial parts of the general education curriculum and has been widely acknowledged as significant to academic success. Teachers have long used it to provide additional time for learning, strengthen study, organizational skills and in some respects, keep parents up-to-date of their children’s progress.
For students with special needs, homework can be a challenge. It is important to find ways to make this task easier for them. Kids with disabilities often have a tough time at school and it is no different when they take assignments that need to be completed at home. Teachers and parents need to accommodate such students with strategies that can help make homework an easier endeavor.
Ways to Improve Homework Results for Special Needs Students
Here are a few simple ideas on how to improve the results of homework for students with special needs:
1. Assign appropriate and simple homework. The homework that students with special needs are given should coincide with what they have learned at school. It should be simple enough to do on their own, so making sure that the homework assigned is appropriate for their capabilities. If the home assignments are tough but necessary, teachers and parents should help them and break down the work to make it simpler for them.
2. Provide helpful practices. Special needs kids should be provided with helpful practices that will not only help them improve their homework results but also encourage them to be more motivated and involved in their school work. Each student will need customized help as not all special kids have the same difficulties in completing their home assignments.
3. Provide skills for studying. Special needs students require help in studying and organizing their study routines. Once they are provided with organizational skills, they will find that doing their homework becomes much simpler. Teachers and parents should also have a sit-down to discuss how to instill these organizational skills at home to help their children.
4. Provide calendars. A study calendar can help immensely when it comes to homework for students with special needs. Using a study schedule calendar can help them monitor and keep track of the assignments that they have been given. A planner or calendar for homework can also help these students complete their homework in a timely manner.
5. Establish clear communication. It is important for both teachers and parents to open the lines of communication with special needs students. Clear communication helps these students overcome many of the problems they may have, included completing their assignments. It will also immensely help in opening them up and asking questions if they have doubts or concerns. Communication also provides them with the guidance that they need from both their teachers as well as their parents.