A great way to keep your children occupied for hours while you are busy with Thanksgiving meal prepping and to-do lists is to have them create holiday decorations for your home. After they are finished, you can help them decorate the house with their hand-made art. Here are eight awesome Thanksgiving craft ideas that your children can make as part of your home’s holiday decor:
1. Using paper cups, construction paper, “googly” eyes, and small yarn pom-poms, create Thanksgiving turkeys to use as your tables center piece.
2. With a string of lights, paper cups, and construction paper, create a lighted garland of Dixie cups.
3. Create “snack” strings of garland with popcorn, cereal, cranberries or other items. (Make sure your children can safely use a needle first if you plan to use popcorn or cranberries.
4. Make decorative foam placemats for your dinner guests with colorful and thin foam “sheets,” colored markers, glitter, or other crafty items.
5. Create personalized name cards for your guests and have your children write one thing they are thankful for about that person on the back of each name card. Simple yet personalized.
6. Cut out large leaf shapes from fall-colored construction paper, have your children write what they are thankful for on each leaf, and create a garland of thanksgiving to hang over the dining room table.
7. Outline and cut out handprints of each family member, have the children turn them into turkeys with crayons, and hang them on the fridge.
8. Collect fall leaves and create turkeys with the leaves and construction paper.
Make sure you save some of your child’s clever creations for a scrapbook or other childhood memory album and enjoy the holidays with your family.